Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (2023)

Simple, stylish and versatile you can take the Soho Tote anywhere this summer!

Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (1)

This free crochet tote pattern is accompanied by a step-by-step video tutorial.

This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.

The Soho Tote is a super easy crochet bag pattern! The base of the bag is a rectangle worked in rows and then a border is created around the rectangle. The sides are crocheted in the rounds and even the straps are crocheted directly onto the body so this entire bag is one piece with no extra seaming!

Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (2)

This means that you only have to fasten off once but you don’t have to deal with the complicated maths of creating an oval base 🙂 The base and straps are made up of tight single crochets for stability and strength while the sides are crocheted in double crochets and double treble crochets.

Design Inspiration

Recently in Auckland, all plastic bags have been banned from supermarkets. You can’t even purchase plastic bags anymore so you always need to have a tote bag/grocery bag handy. I wanted to create a bag that was strong and sturdy enough to hold groceries and could be worn out and about.

This tote bag is perfect to take to the beach, for carrying gym gear or to a farmers market!

Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (3)

Yarn

This project uses Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton in the colour Denim. I absolutely love this yarn for creating accessories! The Denim colour is the perfect blue-grey colour that has a bit more pop than a straight neutral grey but still muted enough that it can match almost any colour! This yarn also has a nice colour range of both bright and neutral colours so there is something for everyone.

24/7 Cotton is 100% mercerised cotton yarn and wound tightly in a chain instead of a twist. This means it has lot less stretch than traditional cottons so your bag will hold its shape for longer! The mercerised cotton also gives the tote a nice subtle sheen that highlights all the stitch texture.

Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (4)

Check out more free crochet patterns!

Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (5)

1. Sea Breeze Tank Top / 2. Leila Tie Strap Crop Top / 3. Forest Breeze Tee

Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (6)

Video Tutorial

Add the Soho Market Tote Bag to your Ravelry queue!

Soho Tote Bag - Ad-free, printable pdf version!

*This crochettote bag is created from the base up.

*The base is created in rows and thensides are built up in rounds.

*Gauge is not extremely important forthis pattern.

*"SC 10" means SC into the next 10 stitches.

*"3SC" means place 3 SC into the same stitch

*Ch 1, Ch 2 andCh 4 do NOT count as a stitch.

*Total stitchesare indicated between < >.

*This pattern uses US crochet terms.

Materials

Yarn – Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton – Aran/Worsted (10 ply), 170m/100g, 100% Cotton in Denim, 3 skeins

4mm (US G/6) Crochet Hook

Rep = Repeat

GAUGE: 10cm/4” square = 18 stitches wide x 10 rows tall in double crochet

Soho Market Tote Bag Crochet Pattern

FOUNDATIONCHAIN: Ch51.

ROW1:SC in 2nd ch from the hook, SC in each st until end. <50>

ROWS2 - 16:Ch 1, turn, SC in each st until end. <50>

We will now create a border around the rectangle and the sides of the bag will be worked in the round.

ROUND 1: Ch 1, turn, SC 49, 3SC into last st of the row. Working along the short side; evenly space out SC 12 along the edge. Place 3SC into the corner st, SC 48 (you are working along the foundation chain), 3SC into the corner st. Working along the 2nd short side; SC 12 evenly along the edge, place 2 SC into the last st (last st be on the corner). Sl st into the 1st SC at the beginning of the round. <132>

ROUNDS2 - 21:Ch 2, DC in each st of the round, sl st to join. <132>

ROUND22:Ch 4, *DTR, ch 1, skip 1 st; rep from * until end, sl st to join. <66DTR>

ROUND23:Ch 1, *SC in st, SC in ch space; rep from * until end, sl st to join.<132>

Repeat ROUNDS 22 - 23 until ROUND 27.

ROUNDS28 – 31:Ch 1, SC in each st until end, sl st to join. <132>

*Ch 84 createsthe straps which measure 52cm/20.5”. You can add/remove chs to make the strapslonger/shorter

ROUND 32: Ch 1, SC 17, ch 84, skip 20 sts, SC 46, ch 84, skip 20 sts, SC 29 until end, sl st to join. <260>

(In ROUND 33, work 1 SC into each ch)

ROUND 33 - 36: Ch 1, SC in each st until end, sl st to join. <260>

At the end of ROUND 36, fasten off.

Weave in all ofyour ends.

Voilà! You have finished your crochet tote.

« Forest Breeze Tee - free crochet pattern + video

The Best Crochet Patterns for Summer! »

Reader Interactions

Comments

1. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (7)Cassie says

Do I slip stitch each corner to join round 2-21?

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (8)Grace says

Hi Cassie,
      You slip stitch into the first st at the end of the round to join.
      Grace

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (9)Kathy says

Is there a PDF of this pattern?
      If there is would you send the link to me.
      Beautiful design.

2. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (10)Kayla says

Hi! Thank you for sharing this project. Your instructions are very easy to follow!

This is my very first crochet project and it seems that my bag is turning out smaller than it should be! The bottom is about 28x9.5cm. I am using medium weight acrylic yarn and a 5mm hook (I misread the instructions whoops!). Could my stitches be too tight, or could it be my yarn or hook size?

Thanks!

3. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (12)carmel Love says

Sorry but I missed when & how to make the square into a circle!!!!!!!

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (13)Grace says

Hi,
      By crocheting around the edges of the rectangle and then sl st to join, we are then working the the round. As we add more rounds, the sides of the bag will become taller and the rectangle will form the base of the bag.
      Grace 🙂

4. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (14)Joshlyn Andalan says

Hi! How many yarns did you exactly spent in this tote bag?

5. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (15)Daniel says

I like this pattern. I changed it a little bit by doing the spaced rows as double crochet stitches instead of double-trebles. I've made four bags so far. The Caron Cotton Cakes work well if you like multi-coloured projects.

6. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (16)JARVIS K HOGAN says

I am making this bag using Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn which is worsted weight marked medium 4 on the label.. The gauge on the label says 13 sts and 14 rows will make a 4" square using an H hook. My gauge is right on, but that means my bag will make up larger if I use the required stitches in your pattern. Questions: 1. Can I cast on fewer stitches to make this work? 2. Is the yarn a good choice for this bag?

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (17)Grace says

Hi Jarvis, this tote bag needs a very precise number of stitches so that the mesh pattern works out properly. I'd recommend sizing down a hook size to see if you can meet gauge stated in the pattern (the gauge on the label doesn't apply to the pattern). I've never used this yarn before so I can't give recommendations sorry! In general I would pick a mercerized cotton yarn as it's super strong and the bag will more durable. (Normal cotton yarns can pill easily).
      I hope this helps,
      Grace

7. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (18)Kim says

Hi. I am loving this pattern so much. It’s looks so easy for a beginner like me. Thank you very much for the tutorial and for this pattern.

I have a question. I would like to make this bag a bit bigger. Could you please tell me the multiples so I can make it bigger?

Greatly appreciate it!

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (19)Grace says

Hi Kim,
      The stitch pattern for the mesh portion you need an even number of stitches. Just make sure that when you're working in the round while crocheting around the edge of your rectangle base that you end up with an even number of stitches. Otherwise the base rectangle can be altered to any size.
      Grace

8. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (20)Lori says

I still don't see how you get from a rectangle to the "round" shape of the tote. I followed the instructions and it never did "connect" even with slip stitch. I have one big square now.

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (21)Grace says

Hi Lori,

By simply crocheting more rounds around the base of the bag the sides should form (you'll need to wait 5 - 10 rounds to see the sides start to 'stand up'). If the sides aren't forming its probably because you're accidentally adding extra stitches (make sure that you have the correct stitch count at the end of each round) or your tension (how tightly you hold your yarn) is loosening. The yarn you're using might also be too soft for this particular design.

Grace

• Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (22)Brandy says

How many stitches in each round, for round 2-21? Is it 132? And do I do 3 stitches in each corner on each round?

9. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (23)paulette meijer says

The link to Etsy for download isn't working.

10. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (24)Becky says

Hi Grace,
    Love your pattern. My base is only 12" wide and I am using your suggested yarn and g hook. I am getting 17 stitches per 4 " which matches your guage fairly well. Your description mentions the bag is 15" wide.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

11. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (25)Hannah says

thxs for the project. I used a color that matched my sweater and it looks nice. I'm not an adult yet,but it still easy to do.

12. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (26)Eron Flemens says

I am wanting to make the tote bag, and I have some cotton yarn in my possession. Did you use the entire three skeins of yarn? I have approximately five skeins of 98 yards each. Will that be enough?

13. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (27)Melanie Ranson says

Round 22 shows no repeats, however your photo shows 3 rounds of the DTC window portion. Unsure of which is correct.

14. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (28)Savannah says

Hi,
    How exactly do you evenly space out 12 SC on the short side of the rectangle base after completing 17 rows?

15. Easy Market Tote Bag - free crochet pattern + video tutorial (29)Lydia says

Hi Grace

I loved making this bag!
    Is it reversible? I think I like the inside.
    Also, I must have made a mistake when slip stitching at the end of each row as I have a diagonal line that runs down. I'm guessing this should be straight.
    I'm going to make another and hopefully work out what I did wrong.

Thanks so much for this amazing bag and video tutorial!!